Air fares & higher baggage allowance for migrants

susanbro

We are looking at trying this when we book flights. Singapore standard allowance is 30 kg, I have read in a few places that with an invalidated visa, they will double it, so for us, as a family of 5, that's a massive 300 kg. some other airlines do similar deals - apparently.

We are looking at trying this when we book flights. Singapore standard allowance is 30 kg, I have read in a few places that with an invalidated visa, they will double it, so for us, as a family of 5, that's a massive 300 kg. some other airlines do similar deals - apparently.

We flew with Singapore Airlines last year when we emigrated. They don't double your luggage allowance but they will give you 40kg each if you are travelling with an unused & invalidated permanent visa to Australia. We got an email from them confirming this before we travelled so we wouldn't have any issues at the airport but there wasn't any!!

PS - Singapore Airlines were amazing and I'd highly recommend them. We also stayed in Singapore for 4 days before we flew onto Perth and the airline also allowed us to break the journey and also have the extra allowance on the flight to Perth!

We flew with Singapore Airlines last year when we emigrated. They don't double your luggage allowance but they will give you 40kg each if you are travelling with an unused & invalidated permanent visa to Australia. We got an email from them confirming this before we travelled so we wouldn't have any issues at the airport but there wasn't any!!

PS - Singapore Airlines were amazing and I'd highly recommend them. We also stayed in Singapore for 4 days before we flew onto Perth and the airline also allowed us to break the journey and also have the extra allowance on the flight to Perth!

how did you arrange this?

We called them before we booked to establish their luggage allowance for unused & unvalidated permanent visas (which they confirmed as being 40kg). We also enquired about the possibility of a stopover in Singapore so that we could have the 40kg from Singapore to Perth & they confirmed it was possible too. We booked our flights based upon this information and immediately emailed them with our booking ref etc and asked them to email us confirmation of the additional allowance for both legs of the journey; which they did and we printed out a copy to take with us to the airport....all very simple and made the process at the airport stress free!

We called them before we booked to establish their luggage allowance for unused & unvalidated permanent visas (which they confirmed as being 40kg). We also enquired about the possibility of a stopover in Singapore so that we could have the 40kg from Singapore to Perth & they confirmed it was possible too. We booked our flights based upon this information and immediately emailed them with our booking ref etc and asked them to email us confirmation of the additional allowance for both legs of the journey; which they did and we printed out a copy to take with us to the airport....all very simple and made the process at the airport stress free!

thanks for your reply - taken a weight of my mind and put it on a trolley :)

Not sure on the extra baggage element, but we've just booked with etihad from edinburgh for September and got a great deal. Worth phoning them and they'll work up some route options for you.

Jlew, we booked this offer too and just checked today and flights have gone back up. If we had booked today would have cost an extra £650 so I dont think the offer is on any more.

Jlew, we booked this offer too and just checked today and flights have gone back up. If we had booked today would have cost an extra £650 so I dont think the offer is on any more.

I was nosing at options as I had been doing for months, and when I saw the price, I phoned, worked through some options and booked there and then. May we'll be some good deals a little nearer the time, but took the view that that was pretty much as cheap as we could get, plus the flight times work really well for us. We should get the duty back for our youngest following the autumn statement, so all in for 3 adult singles and one child, we're about £470 ish each. I've opted to not check prices from now on just in case! :)

I am happy I checked prices :-) I realised it was a bargain! 5 of us at a rate of £475 a person, from our airport of choice, with a nice break in between (21 hours in Abu Dhabi) and on to Brisbane.

Even Garuda wasnt coming up that cheap and my husband was refusing to travel on Garuda lol.

The 24 hour wait for my savings to come out my account seemed like months!

I am happy I checked prices :-) I realised it was a bargain! 5 of us at a rate of £475 a person, from our airport of choice, with a nice break in between (21 hours in Abu Dhabi) and on to Brisbane.

Even Garuda wasnt coming up that cheap and my husband was refusing to travel on Garuda lol.

The 24 hour wait for my savings to come out my account seemed like months!

Thats excellent! :)

Thanks everyone for your input. I spoke to a couple who recently moved to perth and they used IOM Australia who will come back with costs and allowances for various carriers doing special price and luggage alowances for new migrants. I've attached the link if it's of any use to anyone http://www.iomaustralia.org/index.html

We haven't been granted our visa yet so can't contact them for a price but might be worth checking out if you have your visa and haven't booked flights yet x

jac2011, we fly Etihad too on 27th August, on to Melbourne via Brisbane, just booked the tickets yey! We have 14 hour stopover- do you happen to know about their stopover free hotel room or something, there are some strange options on their site I dont understand! Will need to call them I suppose. DId you ask them for extra luggage allowance too? If we do, I think will have to go to buy suitcases, dont have that many to hold 4 x 40kg!

Maybe anyone also knows, if we bought our tickets 14 December, do we get refund of child tax thingy too, or was it already cut off? It just said taxes and charges, although kids tickets were like 100 quid each cheaper.

jac2011, we fly Etihad too on 27th August, on to Melbourne via Brisbane, just booked the tickets yey! We have 14 hour stopover- do you happen to know about their stopover free hotel room or something, there are some strange options on their site I dont understand! Will need to call them I suppose. DId you ask them for extra luggage allowance too? If we do, I think will have to go to buy suitcases, dont have that many to hold 4 x 40kg!

Maybe anyone also knows, if we bought our tickets 14 December, do we get refund of child tax thingy too, or was it already cut off? It just said taxes and charges, although kids tickets were like 100 quid each cheaper.

The Brisbane then melbourne route is the one we nearly took but managed to find a through Perth option. I don't think they do the 40kg option. That said, 30kg plus I think 10kg hand luggage each is quite a lot. We're going toget a couple of big heavy duty holdall bag things as well as two large suitcases as we'll need to get them in the hire car at the airport when we arrive.

Firstly Congratulations on booking your flights ;-)

I suppose it would depend on who you booked your flights through, I booked through Lastminute.com and there website states that prices still include the APD and will be refunded once the airlines have communicated how to revise the charging policy. I would presume that is the case for you but I cant be 100%. Jlew has received a phone call directly but I have not, so I am presuming it may take a while. I think the APD was around £80 each through Lastminute.com.

I looked at the Abu Dhabi Airport Hotel and it states that your airline 'may' arrange a stopover during transit, so I am not holding on to hope. If we do its much better as we dont have to travel far but in the meantime we booked a hotel in Abu Dhabi (premier inn near sports city) for £127 to also make the flight subject to ATOL. There is also an Etihad check in centre there where we can check in and leave the baggage whilst we go and explore the city.

I believe Etihad do not do the extra luggage but you get 30kg pp for the hold luggage and 10kg per person for the hand luggage. So for us, this was fine. Having 2 adults and 3 children we are already going to struggle transporting all these cases to and from airports lol!

Just spoke to Etihad, they dont do any more than 30 kg, and it is 7kg for hand luggage. No free hotel as it is a "transit", not a "stopover". Am looking at booking premier inn airport hotel, 68 quid for family room for 2 nights (funny ha- staying for 14 hours but need to pay for 2 nights to get early check in, and stay till evening. Still, a small price to pay for a proper bed if we need a quick lie down.

Thats a good price, we paid £127 for 2 rooms for 1 night near the sports city in Abu Dhabi.

Our stopover is 21 hours but we arrive at gone midnight and fly around 10pm.

I was worried about getting to our hotel as it will be around 1.30am local time but we have till 11/12 to check out.

I did read just now that you get free accommodation on the first night if you stay for 2 nights and the 2nd night is heavily discounted. Even the family activities are heavily discounted. But like you, we are technically there for 1 day so it doesn't count!

• 2 weeks later...
We have seen a flight with a 17 hour stopover in Singapore, but it's hard to know whether we can leave the airport. It would be nice to be able to speak to a human being sometimes....

did most of you just book things online?

You can leave Singapore airport on a long stop over.

They actually do free city tours for passengers on long stop overs which if the timing is right is well worth going on. If you want more freedom and go buy yourself that should be fine too. :-)

Always book my flights online. Adding human interaction just adds cost lol

You can leave Singapore airport on a long stop over.

They actually do free city tours for passengers on long stop overs which if the timing is right is well worth going on. If you want more freedom and go buy yourself that should be fine too. :-)

Always book my flights online. Adding human interaction just adds cost lol

Cheers!

Just booked flights for 5 of us. Not sorted the hotel yet, but can sort one in the airport at changi.

Thanks for the tips